Info for Applicants
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tue, Jan 9, 2018 5:00pm EST
PROGRAM DATES: July 9–29, 2018
IMPORTANT INFORMATION for APPLICANTS
The 2018 Bang on a Can Summer Music Festival at MASS MoCA will take place from July 9–29, 2018. We welcome applicants from all over the globe who are at least 21 years old as of July 9, 2018. Performance applicants, please note that you do not have to play an instrument included on our faculty to attend the program. Our focus is on chamber music, as opposed to individual instruction on an instrument.
Application fee is $40 USD, payable through Bang on a Can's online store, link available on the online application.
Application deadline — 5:00pm EST - Tuesday, January 9, 2018.
All applicants will be notified of the decisions by e-mail in mid-March.
The tuition fee for the 2018 Bang on a Can Summer Music Festival of is two thousand nine hundred dollars ($2,900 USD) and this includes room and board. A non-refundable deposit of $500 is due within two weeks upon notification of acceptance. Payment in full is due by June 15, 2018.
Room and Board (included in tuition) — Accommodations for the Festival are within walking distance to the museum. Rooms are double occupancy.
Lunch and dinner are provided Mon-Fri at the museum. Fellows are responsible for weekend meals. There are several local inexpensive eateries near the museum.
All participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from MASS MoCA. Information about transportation will be provided upon acceptance to the festival.
If you have any questions regarding the information on this sheet or general questions about the festival, please send an email to Philippa Thompson, Festival Manager: , or call (718) 852-7755.
WORK SAMPLE REQUIREMENTS
Note: If you plan to submit application materials as both a composer and a performer, you will submit two separate applications. Please read the notice at the bottom of this page.*
- Audio recordings and/or PDFs of scores (if applicable) of three of your recent pieces.
- Also include a list of your works as a PDF or word document. Include instrumentation and length of each piece.
- Please note that if accepted, you will be asked to compose a new, six-minute piece to be rehearsed and performed at the Festival. You will be notified in mid-March of the instrumentation you will be composing for, and we must have the new work in our office two months later (mid-May). This time-frame is important, because we need to send music to the performers with enough preparation time.
- Audio or video recordings of at least three unedited pieces. Please include information about each work sample (composer, title, and instrumentation) in the space provided on the application. We encourage you to submit:
- A solo piece from the standard solo repertoire of your instrument - it can be accompanied or unaccompanied. (Wind applicants: accompanied solo piece is preferred)
- A solo piece from the contemporary repertoire
- Chamber music example(s) of your choice, ideally contemporary chamber music.
- Video footage for at least one piece that is a solo or duo performance. (If either solo work sample from the list above is on video, that is sufficient.) Video footage from a computer, tablet, or phone camera is perfectly acceptable.
- Also please include a repertoire list from the past 5 years, including music from any era/style, in PDF or word format, divided into the following categories:
- Solo work performed and/or studied
- Small chamber works performed and/or studied
- Conducted small and/or larger ensemble works (not including symphonic works).
- Optional: please send an informal "video introduction" and tell us a little bit about yourself, your music-making, and anything else you think it would be interesting for us to know.
- Optional: if you have video or audio samples of non-“new music” performances please include as a bonus track(s). We’d be delighted to listen to other representations of your musical self.
Note: All audio and video will be kept private, to be viewed only by Bang on a Can faculty and administration.
* If you would like to apply as both a composer and a performer, you must submit a separate application for each category, paying the application fee only once. To learn how to submit your second application, and to make arrangements for waiving the second application fee, send an email to the festival manager, Philippa Thompson: email@example.com.
If you apply as both a composer and performer, please note you will be accepted as EITHER a composer or performer. There are opportunities to do both at the festival, but your role will be primarily one or the other.
For more general information about the summer festival, please visit the festival webpage on bangonacan.org.